Thursday, September 14, 2006

Zoolander

I was reading kennysia's blog as usual. The topic about "Really Honest DVD Corner" accidentally managed to remind me on the Zoolander issue i wanted to share a few years ago. Sorry, like what my uncle say, "Better late than never eh"
So where were we... ya ZOOLANDER.
Staring Ben stiler..As a model who got brainwashed and was told to assasinate the Prime Minister of Malaysia. For those who didn't know, This movie was banned in Malaysia, Reason? I'm not sure. Some say it's because the assasination of a malaysian PM, they banned it while others claim cuz the Malaysian PM was not a malay. Which is true? I recon those who claim it was banned cuz the actor was not malay were just racist people and totally want to find all ways to blame the muslims as much as possible. But seriously, why was Zoolander banned? Whatever the reason was i feel it was a mistake. I mean why waste time banning musicians, banning movies, censoring songs, taking out episodes all reasons due to either sexual, violent or religion. The government know's very well if other countries have it, people can get it. Simple as that. The more you discourage something, the more that something will be back stabbing behind your back. They should actually spend the time to do something more productive like stopping crimes, drug traficking..etc... Those which are more meaningful. Arghhh.. back to Zoolander. Sorry! Do you know many caucasians don't know Malaysia or don't know how develope Malaysia is? I remember the time when i was in Brisbane, this guy came to me and asked me where i was from, I told him "Malaysia"
His reply :- "Where is that?" My reply :- Asia His reply :- Oh i know! It's the very very clean country. They even ban chewing gums right? My reply :- ermm.. no that's singapore His reply :- Oh sorry sorry. Then I'm sure it's that country where you can get cheap messages, hot trans, hookers. My reply :- NO that's Thailand. His reply :- Ermm.. Where is Malaysia?? My reply :- In between the 2 countries you mentioned.
Another time, Also in Australia, A couple asked me
A : Juls, do you guys really still live on tree houses? Me : What? ermm when i was 3 i had a tree house for my friends to chill? A : nonono i mean does your family and other malaysian still live on tree tops. Me: NO! What or WHO is thier right mind told you that? A : ermm i can't seem to remember. So do you guys usually hunt your food or fish for it? Me : Dude.. What country are you talking about? A : Malaysia. It's a 3rd world country right? Me : errmmm.. aa... i don't think so (confused)
I mean with an International film like Zoolander in a way is promoting our country. People that never heard of Malaysia would be searching on the internet checking to see if the word "Malaysia" exist in the world map. I had new friends talking to me and tell me, "ahh u from Malaysia...Zoolander..hahahaha"At least more "dumb" people have found out there is a country called "Malaysia" In away it's attracting tourist. You don't see the President of the United States get piss off about the thousands of movies/sitcom/drama made about him. The conspiracies, murders and etc... Eventhough our Country is narrow-minded if you ask me.. i still love Malaysia..

Malaysia ! Malaysia! Malaysia!

ps: Sorry i defer from zoolander quite a bit. Semangat bermasyarakat!

No comments: